So you own your own cottage resort or hotel in Ontario! Congratulations on all the hard work you have put in. It’s a tough job with the up keep of maintenance, property taxes, mortgages, unruly tenants and keeping the book full. You know how important targeted advertising is. At the same time, you want to advertise as cost efficiently as possible.
I am going to tell you something you probably know; the internet is where almost all your prospects will go to learn about and find you. Fast talking, smooth and slick internet marketing gurus have told you their stories. No doubt you have heard the words they speak. Some of it is a different language …
- Website analytics
- Keyword triggers
- Social media marketing
- Relationship marketing
- Social influence
- Social proof
What does it all mean and why should I care?
I know (deep down inside) you want more information on how you can attract more leads to your resort. Below I am going to give you one piece to the puzzle. It’s the best I can do without boring you to death. I will be as brief as possible. I really want you to grasp how you can perform your own research to make some incredibly intelligent decisions when spending your advertising dollars. This small lesson has been specifically prepared for the fine folks that own and operate their own hotels and resorts in Ontario. If you ever wondered how to align your website with a targeted market buckle up and fasten your seat belts.
Researching Cottage Resorts, Hotels & Rentals (Ontario)
One of the first things I would look at is keyword psychology. It’s a fancy way for saying what would someone search for to find you? I mean, what’s really in their heads when they are typing those phrases into Google? To make a marketing plan that delivers leads I like to depend on a little keyword research to begin with. I promise this won’t take long but let me take a bit of time to show you how you can find internet searchers looking for you using proven data as your guide.
1) Google Suggest– First decide on a key phrase that you think someone would enter into a search engine to find you. If I owned a rental cottage resort I think “cottage rentals” would be a good start. As you enter a phrase into Google you’ll notice they try to answer your question before you finish typing, it’s called “Google Suggest”. See anything that catches your eye? If I owned a resort in and around Orillia or the Muskoka’s I would look at phrases like cottage rentals Ontario, cottage rentals in Ontario, cottage rentals Muskoka, cottage rentals in Muskoka. When terms are displayed in Google Suggest it means they are search engine proven (historical search volumes).
2) Google AdWords Keyword Suggestions– This is a powerful free tool intended for Google AdWords advertisers. Here are some of my top keyword picks for neighbors in the Muskoka’s that want to reach a targeted audience:
Muskoka hotels and resorts, luxury cottage rentals Muskoka, Muskoka luxury cottage rentals, Muskoka resorts and lodges, Muskoka lodges and resorts, cottages for rent in Muskoka area, Muskoka getaways, Muskoka family resorts, family resorts Muskoka, Kauai cottage rentals, resorts in Muskoka, Muskoka hotels, hotels Muskoka, Maui cottage rentals, luxury cottage rentals, luxury cottage rental, cottages for rent in Muskoka, cottages for rent Muskoka.
3) Where do people live that enter these phrases? Now, you’ll want to know where people are entering these phrases. Wouldn’t it be cool to know who (geographic location) is looking for you? Of course it would be and it’s not difficult to obtain that information. For this research I will use the key phrase “cottage rentals Muskoka” using Google Trends.
4) Research USA– In the Trend data above the USA also likes the Muskoka’s. What keyword would those fine American folks enter to locate a nice cottage up your way? How about “Ontario cottage rentals”? What do you think?
From a complete data interpretation perspective I am going to make a few recommendations here:
- Identify who you are; Muskoka hotels and resorts, luxury cottage rentals Muskoka, Muskoka luxury cottage rentals. They are my top 3 keyword picks.
- Repeat the process if necessary with other interesting keywords shown in step 1 Google Suggest. Do this until you find yourself.
- Create separate web pages for your geo targets. In this research we have learned the top 3 cities that look for you are Oakville, Burlington and Barrie. Create a special webpage for each audience.
- Consider using Google AdWords to drive traffic to your city landing pages.
- Register for Twitter and find friends. Put your website in your profile. Use keywords in your biography and post regular status updates
- Publish regular articles about Muskoka hotels and resorts, luxury cottage rentals Muskoka, Muskoka luxury cottage rentals and submit them to EzineArticles.com. They must be informative and none biased.
- Use statics Canada to drilldown each city found in Trends. Find the higher income areas and consider direct mail. Radio, newspaper ads to those areas.
- Consider an internet marketing campaign targeting US cities like Nevada, Michigan and New York
What Makes You Unique?
Uniqueness will mean you need to add your own spices. E.g. you may want to capitalize on Casino Rama Traffic. If so, research is your best bet to determine the profitable geographic targets. If you are a luxury resort that fully caters and pampers patrons it’s worth finding people that would most appreciated that service.
I hope this brief tutorial has provided some insights for you.
Live long and be prosperous!
Do you need good professional help and advice? Call us for a free consultation. We’ll help you position your advertising and promotional needs using your website as a primary tool. Feel free to call us at 705-259-7900.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP!